Thursday, June 24, 2010

L&N Employee Killed by Falling Cow? Trying to Document a Family Tale.

From 1859 until the day he died, George Overton Taylor worked for the Louisville & Nashville (L&N) Railroad maintaining a 390 foot run of track in the cut between two train tunnels that give South Tunnel, Tennessee, its name.

All my life I've heard family lore about poor ol' great-great-grandpa Taylor's ignoble end. He died, they say, from a broken neck, the fatal impact having been delivered by a calf tumbling head over hooves from the top of the cut's 40 foot limestone wall.

Grandpa Taylor owned farm land directly above the cut, and it was his own calf, they say, that ended his life and his long career with the L&N.

Before grandpa George checked out, he had plenty of time to raise a family with Mary Van (as her name is spelled on their marriage bond and license, both dated February 18, 1860). One of their offspring, Henry Dulin Taylor, married Vera Inez Hassell and their brood included my grandfather, Dulin Hassell Taylor.

The story of George's less-than-dignified demise is so Monty Pythonesque, one has to wonder if it's true.

For me, his one-in-a-million odds of dying from a falling cow has always bumped up against my natural skepticism. But the story does have supporting evidence.

In June 2010, I discovered, in the personal archives of Sumner County Museum curator Allen Haynes, an undated photograph of George Taylor standing on the porch of a railroad shack. Accompanying the photo is a note that reads:

Geo Taylor father of Henry Taylor
Grandfather of Frances T Gregory
Henry Taylor II

George Taylor was 33 years at His Post as
Watchman of the Tunnels at South Tunnel
in the 1800 - Was killed by calf falling off cut
breaking his neck - year unknown.
--F.T.G.

This note from Frances Taylor Gregory, who was two generations closer to the story than I, adds credibility. It's difficult to believe that a granddaughter would not know the real story of her grandfather's death, especially an unusual death. (FTG, by the way, was my grandfather's half-sister - one of the children from Henry Taylor's second wife. My grandpa Dulin, from Henry's third wife Vera Inez Hassell, told me he thought Henry's second wife's maiden name may have been Bloodworth. I have verified this through a marriage license dated January 15, 1896. Her full name on the license is "Susie G. Bloodworth.")

The only part of Frances' story that stokes my skepticism is that she did not know what year her grandpa died. She apparently could not come up with even an approximate year.

Next piece of evidence. A photo dated May 1895, shows a work crew with a magnificent steam locomotive (L&N number 143). Lisa Taylor writes on rootsweb that the man in the white jacket is her great grandfather, John Albert Taylor. "He apparently took over as Tunnel Watchman from his father George Overton Taylor... the first watchman for the tunnels at South Tunnel."

There's reason to believe both the George Taylor photo and Lisa's locomotive photo were taken in the same era because both photos bear the same photographer's imprint.

We can estimate George's photo was taken around 1892, by doing the following math: The L&N railroad was completed in 1859. George worked for L&N at least 33 years, according to the photo caption.

During a trip to the Sumner County Archives on June  25, 2015, I found two court documents that get us much closer to a death date for Grandpa George. Minutes from the County Court session of November 18, 1895, show that John A. Taylor was appointed "administrator of all and singular the goods and chattels rights and credits of the estate of Geo. O. Taylor dec'd."

I also found an intriguing reference in the Circuit Court minutes for March 6, 1896. In a case titled "J.A. Taylor Admr vs L&N R.R. Co.," the judge dismissed Taylor's claim against the L&N and ordered him to pay the railroad for "the costs of this cause." The court minutes do not detail the original claim. But it's easy to imagine it was related to George's death.

My search for documentary evidence of George's cause of death has so far been fruitless.[See update below.] The exact location of George's grave is unknown. Family stories say only that he was buried "in the Indian cemetery," presumably the unmarked Indian burial ground east of the North tunnel. Meanwhile, area newspapers from the period are frustratingly missing from the Archives and the History Museum. The archivist at the L&N archives at the University of Louisville told me the railroad's personnel records were lost in the 1933 flood. And the court records that might detail the reason for the lawsuit against the L&N have so far eluded me.





















August 26, 2015: Success!

I have found a news item about grandpa George in the July 28, 1895, edition of the Atlanta Constitution. Here's the clip. Case closed.


Here's another article, this one published in a Nashville paper:
Found on Newspapers.com


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this- this is part of my family history. (George Overton Taylor was my great-great-grandfather. Frances T. Gregory was my Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any info on Mary Jane Vann ? We keep hitting the "brick wall" on both her and George on all the genealogy search engines.

      Delete
  2. Great blog post! Always happy to find another blogger who's bringing out the history of the part of Tennessee where my genealogy interests lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post on the South Tunnel and the Taylor family! I'm still trying to see if George and W T Taylor connect with my Sumner County Taylors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George O. had a brother with the initals W. T. He's listed in the 1880 census as living with George O. From everything that I've heard he eventually went back to Virginia where he ran a store. If you have info on W. T. I'd love to see it.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you can help me with another little family mystery. Mary Jane Vann's son William G. Taylor & his wife Bettie May are buried in the Ramsey Cemetery in Sumner Co. I've worked out that 2 of their children are buried there too - they died young. Malvina Taylor Ramsey & her husband are buried there - guess that's where it gets its name. Anyway I'm trying to find out how Malvina ties into my Taylor's. Her father was also named William & I've determined that it's NOT the William buried there. Her mother was Ellen Tyree. Also I'm unsure what my William Taylor's real last name was. I was told that he knew that his last name wasn't Taylor, but that's what he wanted to go by once George O. Taylor married his mother Mary Jane Vann. His last name could possibly have been Berry. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  4. There's also more to the story of George. Mary Jane Vann was supposedly a Cherokee woman, George found her walking up the railroad tracks holding the hand of her 8/9 year old son. (also, the census records show George's birth year as 1810 and 1816 and Mary Vann's as 1826 or 1832). She was his housekeeper and they had a son ( My great grandfather John Albert Taylor) in 1858. they got married according to Sumner Co. records in Feb. 1860. Rachel Settle's father ,Omer Chandler , retired from the L&N and noted that many family members had worked for the L&N , not the least of which was George Taylor who was killed by one of his calves falling off the edge of the tunnel as he walked out of the mouth of the tunnel....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cousin - This is Lisa Taylor. I've always been told the calf story about gg grandpa George. I have an L&N article from the Dixie Flager where my g uncle Omer Chander mentions the calf story. You'll find that L&N keeps poor records It never lists any of the Taylor's as working for the railroad. Frances Gregory confirmed the story for me in 1983.

    George O's birth year could be 1816 - 0's & 6's are easily confused. I believe he died in 1895 after the RR picture was taken. People tended to work longer back then so he could have worked into his 80's as long as he was able to do the job. From what I understand he mainly open/closed the tunnels doors & this was what he was doing when the calf fell on him. I have even been told it was his favorite calf!!

    I have a copy of pic of Henry Dulin at his 90th birthday with all his kids/grandkids/etc. & I'm trying to id everyone in it. Also have a pic of unknown. Taylor's that I would love to get identified. I'm happy to share info. just email me at wordspin@aol.com. It's always nice to find another cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa. I'd love to see your pic of Henry Dulin's 90th bd. I'm real interested to see if my dad and grandfather are in the photo.

      -joe dulin taylor

      Delete
    2. Joe -
      Hey I'd love to send you the pic and any others I have that you might like - they are few. I also have a pic of Dulin Taylor if you'd like to have it. Just email me at wordspin@aol.com. Everything stops with George O. & Mary Jane. And really no one in the family has ever mentioned Mary Jane. I have been told that Mary Jane is buried in a cemetery on Ft. Hill in South Tunnel. It's where they buried the Indians/Blacks/those who died working for the RR. The grave is unmarked. Oh Henry's 2nd wife was Susan Bloodworth & his 1st wife was Jennie Collins. There was only one child by 1st marriage a daughter named Nellie. She married & died young probably around 19 during childbirth I think. Anyway Nellie is supposed to be buried at Bush Chapel & her baby too & that their grave is enclosed by a metal type fence. I'll be happy to share what little info. I have with you.

      Delete
  6. My maternal ancestry includes lots of Taylors in South Tunnel. However, I've discovered that there are two unrelated Taylor families in the area. As far as I know, my great-grandfather, James William Taylor and his wife, Mary Melvina Settle, are not related to George. My mother, Mary Claye Smallwood Proctor, was born at Graball, Tennessee. Her father, John Trousdale Smallwood, ran several grocery stores in the community. His father, William Jackson Smallwood, once ran the store on Dobbins Pike at South Tunnel Rd. There is a store there today but of course it's not the same one.

    ReplyDelete